Saturday, March 31, 2007

Feliz Cumpleanos a Mi

This past week, I had quite a few emails in my Inbox on Thursday March 29, 2007.

The reason?

I had been sent notices that friends had added posts to my Wall on Facebook.

The reason?

They wanted to wish me Happy Birthday!

How did they know it was my birthday? Well...
Facebook told them that it was my birthday.

Now, I am not saying at all that I am unappreciative that my friends sent messages on Facebook. I love them very much and cherish their words.

What I am saying is technology has shaped how my peers and I interact with each other. Rather than having to keep track of a friend's birthday by making up some crazy cue (Like "John is severely immature and acts like he is 8...Ah yes, May 8, that is John's birthday."), we are free from some element of personal responsibility and come to rely more and more on technology.

Now, if you have read any of my previous blogs, you might know that I am actually an advocate of the "meaningfulness" of Facebook.

All I'm saying is that we ought to be cognizant of how technology shapes our personal interactions.

No comments: