Saturday, March 24, 2007

Trekkies

Maybe I ought to be mature.

Maybe I ought to say that the video on Friday was just ethnography and not a freak show.

I probably should do both of these things...even though I am not inclined to.

It's just that the content of the video boggled my mind. A Klingon mask sold for FOURTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS!

Its interesting how media affects its audience. I think most of us are much more tied to media than we would like to think. We just don't express this as extremely or outwardly as do the trekkies.

Many people have "their show." People reserve time out of their busy lives to sit down week after week, and shall I say, religiously watch a TV program. People schedule their activities, and even meals around the TV guide. Social interaction within family units is hindered, sedentary lifestyles set in, and people are indulged with messages that are not rooted in truth.

Is this not a bit freakish?

No comments: