Saturday, March 31, 2007

Sanjia

So, I have not been following this season of American Idol, but while in Florida with my family, I had a chance to see a little bit of the show.

There is this guy named Sanjia on the show who is not particularly vocally talented, but he has a reputation for changing his hairstyle every week. America seems to love him, and as a result of the voting outcome, he keeps surviving on the show. While this is somewhat amusing, it seems to undermine the purpose of the show...

The incredible part is that this element of the show has affected other media sectors...

There is a website right now called "Vote for the Worst" which is encouraging America to vote opposite of what would be logical.

Extending into the world of radio, Howard Stern is now advocating for this website.

All of this is media attempting to shape media consumers who are trying to shape media.

And the issue is of utmost importance. It ranks up there with U.S. foreign policy and global warming.

I reek of sarcasm.

3 comments:

Christine said...

haha, yea American Idol really doesn't seem to deseve this much attention, does it? But I thought the point you made about consumers and other media trying to influence the original source of media: American Idol. It will be interesting to see if the producers of American idol adjust their content distribution at all as a result of the attention it is recieveing from the public. Could the public have the ability to destroy American Idol, or will the production be altered in order to better fit consumer desires?

Chris said...

Firstly, I love the sarcasm. Secondly, I think its interesting how people have an interest in controlling the media. Think about it, all those people voting for Sanjia so that such a horrible singer will go further and further into the competition. I think this shows that all these people love to influence the media in a notable way, and also that people love to be part of groups (we can call this group the semiotic domain of American Idol watchers who either love Sanjia or the semiotic domain of people who just want to ruin American Idol). Also, I this think has caused those people who are non-conformers to the American Idol pop-culture to participate in the show. So whether you like American Idol or not, people are involved in the show and I think maybe even more people are watching it because the people who hate the show want Sanjia to win for the fun of it.

T.R Frazier said...

Welp, I definitely was not a fan of Sanjaya. Quite frankly he sucks, but I think I've seen worse on the show. It seems like every season there's someone who just sucks, but America votes for them.

The interesting part for me was the Vote for the Worst part. It reminds me of LeFranks vlog finding the worst myspace, and the democritization of media. The idea is that those people that participate in Vote for the Worst, must at least have some concept of what is good.